Sunday, June 16, 2013

My version of the "Snatched by the Fae" Challenge


Princess Lilliana Enth-Kimlye was ready to move on with her life.  She wanted to wed and find her own happiness. But she knew what was expected of her.  Before she was free to live her life, her brother, Prince Tharnn, needed to be wed, bed and bred.

Tharnn was happiest when playing his music or collecting seeds around the village, trying to get him to discuss his future was a monumental task..  However, he had once commented that he lusted after smart women so at least she had a starting place.  It wasn't much to go by, but it would help.

Since the new Princess would need to be untouched, her first stop was to the local orphanage.  There must be an acceptable young lady there.
A young green-haired half breed met her at the door and took her to meet Cassandra, the house mother.
 Cassandra told her that there were only two teenage females at the orphanage at that time and that one, Sophie Dwyer, had been abandoned with her brother the previous year and was quite smart as well as good with children.

The initial meeting with Sophie didn't go well.  She stated quite loudly she wanted no part of our Fairy Tale lives and that I was to "write her out of the happily ever after type of life."  Although quite irritated at her, I couldn't help but notice her flashing green eyes.  Yes, this is a woman who would keep my brother from being bored.  I didn't have to like her myself, I just had to properly raise any Fae children she might have.

I'm sure that as she left to take the younger children to the park, she thought the house mother would see her side of the story.  What she didn't know was that the Orphanage was operated by the Fairie families.  If she had taken a closer look at the children there, she might have made the connection.
Instead, the bargain was struck and the price was paid. She would be delivered to the castle the night of her graduation.  My brother would have one month to woo her and wed her.  If he failed to do so, she would be sent back to the orphanage and allowed to make whatever life she may.  Not that she would be told that last part.

That evening I thought hard about the life she would live and the dreams she would have to forfeit due to my meddling.  Yes, the castle was beautiful, but she would be a lovely bird in a gilded cage for many years.  What future had I created for her?  And for myself?

9 comments:

  1. OOH sounds like an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm actually enjoying this little family I've created. It's odd not being able to control a character in the house though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very interesting! I don't think I could do something where I couldn't control any characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! Erm, not that I read any of the rules, but that's not as important as a fun story to read *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an intriguing story! Can't wait to see more. (And I think I'm already feeling sorry for the women in this challenge.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. Can't wait to read more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see someone enjoying the challenge! I love that you are taking it from the sister's perspective... especially a sister as interesting as this one!

    -Kay aka MeusObsequium

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no - I hope this hasn't just ended there :(
    This story was looking really good!

    ReplyDelete